Welcome to a special episode! Today the tables are turned and I’m being interviewed by my close friend Mariana Rudan.
I met Mariana when I first arrived in Sydney years ago and we worked together, and she’s been a close friend ever since. She’s a journalist, presenter, newsreader, singer songwriter, travel lover, mother of two adorable children, and an amazing cook! She also speaks a few languages, so is a very talented lady.
Sharing a little of my personal story seemed like a great way to mark the first year of the podcast and to celebrate International ChildFree Day, which is August 1.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Michelle’s pregnancy a few years ago, about which she had always felt ambivalent and resistant to the assumption of 'having to have children'.
- At 10 weeks, she knew something was wrong.
- Diagnosis: “molar pregnancy”—abnormal cell growth in the uterus, when the embryo doesn’t develop, but the placenta keeps growing.
- How a molar pregnancy is linked to a pregnancy-related cancer.
- How the pregnancy was a catalyst for ending Michelle’s marriage.
- The reason for the title of the podcast
- When women don’t follow the “normal” script of life
- How judgment of women has played out in the media recently.
- The feedback Michelle has received from the show over the past year.
- “We all have a different story—and that’s OK.”
- The incorrect assumption that every woman feels the “clock ticking” when Michelle hears all the time from women, who never have that experience.
- The statistics: Almost 25% of women over 40 don’t have children, and the numbers are steadily increasing worldwide. Around a third of couples in Australia don't have children.
- The many factors that play into the decision not to have children.
- “Every woman’s path is unique to her.”
- How society can change the perceptions and stop the judgment by supporting the choices of ALL women.
- Michelle’s current relationship and playing the role of stepmother.
- No right or wrong---it all comes down to individual beliefs and value systems
- “No children” doesn’t mean “no responsibilities” and often childless or childfree women can feel taken for granted in other areas of their lives.
- Opportunities to channel creative energy in a different direction.
- What do you love? What makes you angry? Where do you feel there is injustice? What are you curious about? What brings out the best in you?
- What if YOU are the one person in your circle that’s meant to create a different path that inspires others and opens their hearts and minds to a different possibility?
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. If you enjoyed then please share with another woman who would find it beneficial. I would be eternally grateful if you could rate the show and leave a review on Itunes.
For more episodes of Unclassified Woman check out michellemariemcgrath.com